Friday, November 12, 2010

"El Phenomeno Ronaldo" A Parody of Phenomenal Woman by Maya Angelou

The explication of this parody of "Phenomenal Woman" by Maya Angelou is below the poem:

Other players wonder where my secret lies.
I'm not fast or built to suit the modern player's size
But when I start to tell them,
They think I'm telling lies
I say,
It's in the reach of my legs
The power generated from my hips,
The stride of my step,
The curl of my lips.
I'm Ronaldo
El Phenomeno.
El Phenomeno Ronaldo,
That's me.

I run across the field
Just as cool as you please,
And to a man,
The opponents stand or
fall in fear to their knees.
Then they swarm around me,
A hive of useless bees.
I play,
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the power in my shot,
The feint of my body,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm Ronaldo
El Phenomeno
El Phenomeno Ronaldo,
That's me.

Player themselves have wondered
How they could stop me.
They try so much
But they can't touch
my speed and trickery.
When I try to show them
They say they still can't see.
I say,
It's the arch of my back,
My flair is wild,
My shooting precision,
The grace of my style.
I'm Ronaldo
El Phenomeno.
El Phenomeno Ronaldo,
That's me.

Now you understand
Just why my head's not bowed.
I don't shout or jump about
Or have to yell real loud.
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It's in the speed of my feet,
The bend of my shot,
The balance of my body,
The need of my flair,
'Cause I'm Ronaldo
El Phenomeno.
El Phenomeno Ronaldo,
That's me.

El Phenomeno dribbling around players
I wrote this parody after reading a poem by Maya Angelou entitled, "Phenomenal Woman". While reading it I thought, "What if this woman were a player?" and the Brazilian, Ronaldo popped right into my head. A confident, talented, and amazing player who truly mesmerized entire stadiums. Ronaldo was nicknamed El Phenomeno, and then I realized that he was perfect for this poem, and so I created this parody.

This parody has repetition of the last four lines of each stanza, just to remind you who it is the poem is about. This repetition presses the greatness of the person in your mind, making you idolize and be in awe of them even more.

What was so perfect when writing this poem was the fact that Ronaldo wasn't especially strong or fast, he was just a complete player who could do just about anything. Defenders would surround him in a vain attempt to stop him, but every time he managed to dazzle his way through all of them. El Phenomeno is without a doubt a legend of the game, and this poem is almost like an ode to him. It reminds us of his trickery, ability, and confidence which are all rare gifts for players to possess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...